Sunday, July 15, 2012

On Writing...

i'm the first to admit that i am not a fantastic writer. hemingway or twain or faulkner or vonnegut are not coming forth through my fingers as i type. plus, i have a proofreading problem; i'm just bad at it and there are constant grammatical mistakes in my writing.  but i've noticed something lately with my writing for work. plus, i mentioned my premise (that legal writing sucks and destroys creative writing) to another person. he's a former journo who is now a business consultant.  he immediately started laughing because he has a friend that is an attorney and desperately wants out....just like me. she has said the same about her writing. he says the same thing about his writing now, too.

i give my writing to my boss for his review, anything from reports to pre-trial settlement memos. i like to pepper my writing with random shit like semi-colons, colons and generally break the 'rules' of writing. ya know, that bullshit you learned in school. point being here is that he rips it up, 'why the fuck are you using semi-colons?' because he wants simple sentences that are noun-verb-action. neither fun nor interesting.... i'm going to try to write more here, to put fingers on the keyboard in some form of expression that doesn't have to conform to his bullshit rules, tastes and preferences. so we shall see what happens. maybe this helps me land the job i'm looking for. so off we go!

No comments: